Date:	Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:45:55 -0800
From:	Tom Herbert <therbert@...gle.com>
To:	Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.hengli.com.au>
Cc:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, rick.jones2@...com,
	wsommerfeld@...gle.com, daniel.baluta@...il.com,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: SO_REUSEPORT - can it be done in kernel?

> I disagree completely.
>
> This patch adds a user-space API that we will have to carry
> with us for perpetuity.  I would only support this if we had
> no other way around the problem.
>
> If this does turn out to be mostly due to sendmsg contention
> then fixing it is going to be much simpler than making the UDP
> stack multiqueue capable.

That sounds promising, but receive side will still have problems.
There is lock contention on the queue as well as cache line bouncing
on the sock structures.  Also multiple threads sleeping on same socket
typically leads to asymmetric load across the threads (and
degenerative cases where receiving thread is woken up and other
threads have already processed all the packets).  TCP listener threads
suffer from these same problems.

Tom