Date:	Thu, 3 Mar 2011 10:45:18 +0100
From:	Francois Romieu <romieu@...zoreil.com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, Hayes <hayeswang@...ltek.com>,
	sgruszka@...hat.com
Subject: Re: r8169 disable ASPM patch

(Hayes added to the Cc:)

David Miller <davem@...emloft.net> :
[...]
> What is the status of Stanislaw Gruszka's "disable ASPM" r8169
> patch?
>
> 	http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/83961/
>
> Is it waiting for your testing ?

No.

I can test it against regression but I do not have the technical
knowledge to tell if it is right or not.

I have read (again) the PR as well as its sibling and there is little
evidence for me that the patch is 1) needed 2) better than the global
pcie_aspm switch. Either Realtek's in-house knowledge helps making
a technical decision or it is a policy-guided choice.

> Is it waiting for feedback from Hayes?

Yes.

Something like :
[ ] Ack. So far there is no way to handle ASPM reliably on the 816x
[ ] Not optimal but it is ok as an interim fix. For instance :
    - if some 816x (8168 ? 810{2, 3} ?) are known broken while others are not
    - it can be mitigated but the fix is not available yet
    - needs more tester / vendor work
    - etc.
[ ] Nak. The adequate fix is ...

> Is there going to be a MAINTAINERS patch that adds Hayes?  If so
> what is stalling that?

Realtek nic team asked me privately (end 2010) in rather general terms if
they could maintain the r8169 kernel driver. I have given some relevant
pointers for kernel code maintenance. Realtek did its housework.

I have stated publicly that I'll ack such a patch if Hayes wants to
add himself. Hayes was Cced. Either Hayes sends a patch or a plain
"please do it".

--
Ueimor