Date:	Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:03:12 +0200
From:	Oliver Hartkopp <socketcan@...tkopp.net>
To:	Marc Kleine-Budde <mkl@...gutronix.de>
CC:	Wolfgang Grandegger <wg@...ndegger.com>,
	socketcan-users@...ts.berlios.de, Netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: poll broken (for can)

On 28.03.2011 21:32, Marc Kleine-Budde wrote:
> On 03/28/2011 07:53 PM, Oliver Hartkopp wrote:

>>> The poll callback checks if the used memory is less than the half of per
>>> socket snd buffer (IIRC ~60K). See:
>>>
>>> datagram_poll (http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.38/net/core/datagram.c#L737)
>>> sock_writeable (http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.38/include/net/sock.h#L1618)
>>>
>>> Because the size of a can frame (+the skb overhead) is much less then
>>> the ethernet frame (+overhead) the default value for the snd buffer is
>>> too big for can.
>>>
>>> We get the -ENOBUF from write() if the tx_queue_len (default 10) is
>>> exceeded.
>>>
>>> http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.38/drivers/net/can/dev.c#L435
>>> http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.38/net/can/af_can.c#L268
>>>

>> What would be your suggestion? Decreasing the socket send buffer for CAN by
>> default?
>
> I haven't done any testing.....As far as I understand the code, we can
> a) increase the default tx_queue_len and/or
> b) decrease the default snd buffer size.
>
> Note: a) is a per device setting whereas b) is a per socket setting.
>
> With the current settings the -ENOBUF is triggered if we have X unsend
> can frames (per device) where X equals the tx_queue_len. This means
> using 5 applications, it about 2 queued (i.e. unsent) frames per app and
> device.
>
> If we increase the tx_queue_len to a high value (via ifconfig), so that
> the snd buffer is fully used, before the tx_queue_len is exceeded the
> write system call will block, (or return -EAGAIN of opened non
> blocking). At least the last time I've done this.
>
> I think solution b) would lead to a similar behavioural change.
>
> What do we really want to specify?

Hm - the problem could be that people expect their frames to be sent 'in
time', so if we increase the tx_queue_len, it's not transparent when the
frames are potentially leaving the system - and if the application data is
already out-dated when hitting the medium.

What about having up to three CAN frames in each CAN_RAW socket send buffer
and e.g.50 frames in the tx_queue_len of the netdevice as a starting point?

> Something like: queue up to X frames per socket and queue only Y frames
> per device. Where Y = X * n and n is "I don't know yet"?
>
> Y is simple, it's the tx_queue_len. But X is more complicated. The can
> frames have non constant length (i.e. dlc) and I'm not sure that the
> netdev people say if we misuse the sock_alloc_send_pskb() for our
> tx-flow-control :)

I would propose to count the CAN frames independently from the can_dlc. AFAIK
the tx_queue_len is dealing with skb's - and the skb->len for the socket send
buffer is also size of struct can_frame, right?

Regards,
Oliver