Date:	Fri, 1 Apr 2011 19:01:08 -0700
From:	Jesse Gross <jesse@...ira.com>
To:	Seblu <seblu@...lu.net>
Cc:	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: bnx2 vlan issue

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Seblu <seblu@...lu.net> wrote:

>>> Speaking of that, i've tryed  2.6.38 on my station (dell opitplex 980)
>>> to use the new bridging schema and it doesn't work.
>>> Exactly the case previously described: ip on br0 (eth0+eth1) and ip on
>>> br0.42. eth0 driver is e1000e and eth1 is tg3. br0.42 don't receive
>>> traffic.
>>> I have to open a bug report?
>>
>> The change was deliberate, not an accidental mistake, so don't expect
>> 2.6.38 to suddenly switch back to the previous behavior.  There's no
>> need to file a bug report - the new behavior is known (I was the one
>> who changed it in the first place).  I will look into nicer semantics
>> in the future.
>>
> Maybe i was not enough clear. It seems to me that new behaviour, with
> vlan on top of bridge rather than above interface in bridge is not
> functional.
> In other words, i cannot use vlan and bridge together in 2.6.38 (with e1000e).

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were saying before.  Can you try and
see where the packets are getting lost or improperly handled by
running tcpdump on the various interfaces?  For example, check that
packets are coming in with tags on the physical interfaces, have tags
on the bridge interface, no tag on the vlan interface, etc.