Date:	Fri, 15 Apr 2011 18:44:07 +0200
From:	Michał Górny <mgorny@...too.org>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	mgorny@...too.org, roy@...ples.name
Subject: The bonding driver should notify userspace of MAC address change

Hello,

I'd like to file a feature request for the bonding driver. Currently,
there is no way for userspace to know whether the driver actually gets
a MAC address. This results in the fact that dhcpcd sends MAC-less DHCP
packets through bonding device if it is started before bond gets any
slaves.

I've reported that problem upstream [1], and the author suggested that
the bonding driver would have to notify the userspace about MAC address
change, suggesting using RTM_NEWLINK message.

I wanted to write a patch for that but I don't seem to see any
appropriate IFF_* flag for that particular kind of event. dhcpcd author
suggested using 'ifi->ifi_change = ~0U' but I'm not sure if it's
appropriate.

Could you either add such a kind of notification or give me a tip on
how to proceed with adding it? Thanks in advance.

[1] http://roy.marples.name/projects/dhcpcd/ticket/212

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (199 bytes)