Date:	Sat, 16 Apr 2011 13:04:54 +0200
From:	François Romieu <romieu@...zoreil.com>
To:	Fejes József <fejes@...o.name>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: r8169 misleading firmware error messages

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 10:27:01AM +0200, Fejes József wrote:
[...]
> So then I installed the rtl_nic firmware files, and the error
> messages were gone.
>
> How do I know if it actually tries to load the firmware at all?

Currently: remove it and the driver will tell you that it could not
load the firmware.

It's a bit rough. I'll report something through ethtool (-i).

> I see there's a condition, if an rtl_readphy returns a wrong value, it
> doesn't even try to load the firmware and just prints the message.
> Although this wouldn't explain why the error message disappeared
> when the files were there.

I don't get your point.

> Clearly, my device works without these firmware files. If my device
> works better with them, or if there are other similar devices which
> require it, I think there should be a configuration option to
> disable this firmware stuff and its benefits altogether so that it
> doesn't even report that it needs it.

The driver uses netif_warn, not netif_err.

I think the driver is nevrotic enough as is and I will not add
what I consider a silly if not unusable configuration option.

Feel free to send patches if you think they really add some
value.

--
Ueimor