Date:	Mon, 18 Apr 2011 22:51:34 +0100
From:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
To:	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>
Cc:	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...tta.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	davem@...emloft.net, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
	Alexander Duyck <alexander.h.duyck@...el.com>,
	Jeff Kirsher <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>
Subject: Re: net: Automatic IRQ siloing for network devices

On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 21:08 -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 07:38:59PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 13:20 -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
> > > On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 09:17:04AM -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > [...]
> > > >
> > > Thats not how it currently works, AFAICS.  The default kernel policy is
> > > currently that cpu affinity for any newly requested irq is all cpus.  Any
> > > restriction beyond that is the purview and doing of userspace (irqbalance or
> > > manual affinity setting).
> >
> > Right.  Though it may be reasonable for the kernel to use the hint as
> > the initial affinity for a newly allocated IRQ (not sure quite how we
> > determine that).
> >
> So I understand what your saying here, but I'm having a hard time reconciling
> the two notions.  Currently as it stands, affinity_hint gets set by a single
> function call in the kernel (irq_set_affinity_hint), and is called by drivers
> wishing to guide irqbalances behavior (currently only ixgbe does this).  The
> behavior a driver is capable of guiding however are either overly simple (ixgbe
> just tells irqbalance to place each irq on a separate cpu, which irqbalance
> would do anyway)

It's a bit more subtle than that.

ixgbe is trying to set up hardware flow steering.  Some versions of the
hardware can steer packets to RX queues based on the TX queue that was
last used for the same flow.  The TX queue selection based on CPU in
ixgbe_select_queue() should be the inverse of the IRQ affinity mapping
of RX queues, and the affinity hints are supposed to ensure that this is
true.

I think it should be possible to replace those hints with use of
irq_cpu_rmap for TX queue selection.

> or overly complex (forcing policy into the kernel, which I
> tried to do with this patch series, but based on the responses I've gotten here,
> that seems non-desireable).

The trouble is that irqbalance has been so bad for multiqueue net
devices in the past that many vendors (including Solarflare) recommended
that it be disabled.  I think irqbalance does sensible things now but
many systems will be running without it for some time to come.

I was thinking that if the drivers could set sane hints to start with
then it would improve matters for those systems without irqbalance.  But
maybe it would be better still for some part of the networking core or
IRQ core to set up a default spreading of multiqueue IRQs.

[...]
> > > Actually, as I read back to myself, that acutally sounds kind of good to me.  It
> > > keeps all the policy for this in user space, and minimizes what we have to add
> > > to the kernel to make it happen (some process information in /proc and another
> > > udev event).  I'd like to get some feedback before I start implementing this,
> > > but I think this could be done.  What do you think?
> >
> > I don't think it's a good idea to override the scheduler dynamically
> > like this.
> >
> Why not?  Not disagreeing here, but I'm curious as to why you think this is bad.
> We already have several interfaces for doing this in user space (cgroups and
> taskset come to mind).  Nominally they are used directly by sysadmins, and used
> sparingly for specific configurations.

Yes, that is why I think this is different.

> All I'm suggesting is that we create a
> daemon to identify processes that would benefit from running closer to the nics
> they are getting data from, and restricting them to cpus that fit that benefit.
> If a sysadmin doesn't want that behavior, they can stop the daemon, or change
> its configuration to avoid including processes they don't want to move/restrict.

I think this could improve latency under low CPU load and throughput
under high CPU load for small numbers of relatively long-lived flows.
But for large numbers of flows or high turnover of flows the affinity
will just be noise.

You're welcome to do your own experiments, obviously!

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.