Date:	Sun, 22 May 2011 17:02:08 -0400
From:	Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@...il.com>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: More prefetch fall-out

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com> wrote:
>>
>> Taking a look at various skb_queue_walk* call sites, I think prefetches
>> are not a clear win, I would just remove them all from skbuff.h
>
> Hmm.
>
> I did that, and it turns out that we also have:
>
>  - *lots* of network drivers that use "prefetch" (without including prefetch.h)
>  - net/netlabel/netlabel_addrlist.h doing the same.
>
> and fixing that up is annoying "grunt work".

I just did a cheezy script (embedded in the attached commit) that should
help make the grunt work less annoying by doing a mechanical 1st pass
on fixing the drivers/net ones.   Script is tested -- compile isn't (I'm not
currently somewhere that I can do a yesconfig/compile without growing
old waiting for it).  Feel free to use the script and scrap the commit, or
whatever makes things easiest for people.

Paul.

> So for now, I think I'll just do the "add the <linux/prefetch.h> to
> <linux/skbuff.h>" thing, and leave networking alone. That makes
> everything compile ("allyesconfig") even with my "you *have* to
> include <linux/prefetch.h>" test-patch.
>
>                                 Linus

View attachment "0001-drivers-net-add-prefetch-header-for-prefetch-users.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (12121 bytes)