Date:	Wed, 25 May 2011 11:49:17 -0700
From:	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: VLAN test cases in 2.6.38.7

On 05/24/2011 08:33 PM, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 05/24/2011 07:47 PM, David Miller wrote:
>> From: Ben Greear<greearb@...delatech.com>
>> Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:52:52 -0700
>>
>>> Either my ubridge code is broken, or 2.6.38.7+ doesn't send
>>> tp_vlan_tci
>>> properly. All I ever see is zero for that field.
>>
>> You need to put the af_packet socket into TPACKET_V2 format.
>
> Actually, that doesn't seem needed. I just needed to give more
> space to the cmsg buffer to account for the cmsg struct overhead.
> (And I had a bunch of other bugs, but that was the only one
> that directly affected the tci field.)
>
> I think that TPACKET_V2 stuff might be only for reading
> memmapped messages or something like that?
>
> It looks like for any flexible user-space code, we are just going
> to have to use recvmesg instead of recvfrom, and add the extra checks
> for cmesg data. I'll post code when I get it working better so
> the next person to try this might have an easier time :P

Updated code is here:
http://www.candelatech.com/~greearb/misc/ubridge.tar.gz

Some testing results:

kernel 2.6.38.7, plus back-port of:
    network: Allow af_packet to transmit +4 bytes for VLAN packets.
MTU: 1500
NIC: igb (3.0.19)

   Test-cases:
   0:  Ensure receipt of tags when bridging ether devices
       with an un-used VLAN on one device.  Uses recvmsg (aux-data)
   1:  Ensure receipt of tags when bridging ether devices
       with an un-used VLAN on one device.  Uses recvfrom (no aux-data)
   2:  Ensure receipt of tags when bridging ether devices
       without any VLANs configured.  Uses recvmsg (aux-data)
   3:  Ensure receipt of tags when bridging ether devices
       without any VLANs configured.  Uses recvfrom (no aux-data)
   4:  Ensure receipt of tags when bridging ether devices
       with bridged VLAN on one device.  Uses recvmsg (aux-data)
   5:  Ensure receipt of tags when bridging ether devices
       with bridged VLAN on one device.  Uses recvfrom (no aux-data)

Generator (LANforge):
    MTU 1500
    udp connection on eth with 1024 byte pdu, 56kbps
    udp connection on eth with 4000 byte pdu, 56kbps
    udp connection on vlan 7 with 1024 byte pdu, 56kbps
    udp connection on vlan 7 with 4000 byte pdu, 56kbps

test-case 0:  Passes
test-case 1:  Fails on VLANs (expected, recvfrom doesn't get aux-data to re-build VLAN hdr)
test-case 2:  Passes
test-case 3:  Passes
test-case 4:  Passes
test-case 5:  Fails on VLANs (expected, recvfrom doesn't get aux-data to re-build VLAN hdr)

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>