Date:	Tue, 12 Jul 2011 17:23:36 +0100
From:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
To:	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...tta.com>
Cc:	Michał Mirosław <mirqus@...il.com>,
	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 2/2] e100: Support RXFCS feature flag.

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 09:00 -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 17:49:49 +0200
> Michał Mirosław <mirqus@...il.com> wrote:
>
> > wanted_features only reflects what is requested by user, this
> > combination might be invalid. When conditions change this value
> > combined with other bits in features are passed through
> > ndo_fix_features callback and netdev_fix_features() to bring it to
> > valid state, and then (if resulting set is different than current
> > features) ndo_set_features() is called to reconfigure device for that
> > new state change to it.
>
> Since this semantic is more complicated than most other parts
> of network device interface API; could you please put a detailed
> documentation into Documentation/networking/netdevices.txt
>
> The whole netdevices.txt document could use some extending and
> rewriting as well.

Given that it has missed the last 3 years of API changes (and many
before that) I think it would be better to convert it into kernel-doc
comments in netdevice.h.  That would make it more obvious to driver
authors trying to understand the API, and to those changing the driver
API.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.