Date:	Thu, 14 Jul 2011 08:55:01 -0600
From:	Chris Friesen <chris.friesen@...band.com>
To:	Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>
CC:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: any way to let host act as TCP server OR client on same IP/port?

On 07/13/2011 01:16 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:
> On 07/13/2011 12:05 PM, Rick Jones wrote:

>>> Could you try SO_REUSEADDR, on both listener and connect attempt ?
>>
>> I was thinking the same thing, but it appears to not work under:

> In our case we don't need to actually be connected, just be listening
> and ready to either accept() a connection or connect() to someone else.

It turns out that the application people really do want the server side
to be able to listen() at the same time as calling connect() from the
same address/port, so Rick's testcase was accurate.

It would be interesting if linux were to allow this behaviour.  It
doesn't seem to violate any specs, since we could still return an error
if we try to connect() to an address that is already connected to us.

Chris

--
Chris Friesen
Software Developer