Date:	Tue, 19 Jul 2011 10:13:34 +0200
From:	Jiri Pirko <jpirko@...hat.com>
To:	Michał Mirosław <mirqus@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net,
	shemminger@...ux-foundation.org, eric.dumazet@...il.com,
	greearb@...delatech.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next-2.6] vlan: introduce ndo_vlan_[enable/disable]

Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 09:24:29AM CEST, mirqus@...il.com wrote:
>W dniu 18 lipca 2011 09:13 użytkownik Jiri Pirko <jpirko@...hat.com> napisał:

>>>Not in netdev_fix_features(). This case you describe should be handled
>>>in driver-specific
>>
>> Well since the code would be the same in many drivers I was thinking
>> about putting it in general code...
>>
>> Anyway, would you please look at following example patch and tell me if
>> it looks good to you?
>
>[...]
>>  static u32 atl1c_fix_features(struct net_device *netdev, u32 features)
>>  {
>> +       u32 changed = netdev->features ^ features;
>> +
>> +       /*
>> +        * Since there is no support for separate rx/tx vlan accel
>> +        * enable/disable make sure these are always set in pair.
>> +        */
>> +       if ((changed & NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_TX && features & NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_TX) ||
>> +           (changed & NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_RX && features & NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_RX))
>> +               features |= NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_TX | NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_RX;
>> +       else
>> +               features &= ~(NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_TX | NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_RX);
>> +
>
>You ignored my hint about combined TX/RX offload. Is that on purpose?

Sorry but I'm probably missing what you mean.

>Your code will toggle VLAN acceleration on every
>netdev_update_features call when user requests one offload on and one
>off.

Well for hw which cannot no/off rx/tx accel separately I thought that if
user wants one accel on, the accel should be enabled. According to
following table (bits set when calling driver's fix_features):

 NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_TX  NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_RX -> enable
 NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_TX !NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_RX -> enable
!NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_TX  NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_RX -> enable
!NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_TX !NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_RX -> disable

This looks logical to me...

>BTW, the register flag name (MAC_CTRL_RMV_VLAN) suggests that it
>controls only tag stripping. Was it tested or documented that this
>also links with tag insertion?

comment says "/* enable VLAN tag insert/strip */" therefore it looks
like this register controls both.

>[...]
>> +static int atl1c_set_features(struct net_device *netdev, u32 features)
>> +{
>> +       u32 changed = netdev->features ^ features;
>> +
>> +        * Test for NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_TX as it's paired with NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_RX
>> +        * by atl1c_fix_features.
>> +       if (changed & NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_TX)
>> +               atl1c_vlan_mode(netdev, features);
>> +
>
>Test for RX is better, as it will match the name of control bit
>(MAC_CTRL_RMV_VLAN).

Yeah, why not, I think this does not matter.