Date:	Tue, 09 Aug 2011 12:48:47 +0200
From:	Wolfgang Grandegger <wg@...ndegger.com>
To:	U Bhaskar-B22300 <B22300@...escale.com>
CC:	Marc Kleine-Budde <mkl@...gutronix.de>,
	"socketcan-core@...ts.berlios.de" <socketcan-core@...ts.berlios.de>,
	"Devicetree-discuss@...ts.ozlabs.org"
	<Devicetree-discuss@...ts.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 5/5] [powerpc] Implement a p1010rdb clock source.

On 08/09/2011 11:27 AM, U Bhaskar-B22300 wrote:

> [...]
>>> b;f=Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/can/fsl-flexcan.txt;h=1a729f
>>> 089866259ef82d0db5893ff7a8c54d5ccf;hb=94ed5b4788a7cdbe68bc7cb8516972cb
>>> ebdc8274
>>
>> As Marc already pointed out, Robin already has a much more advanced patch
>> stack in preparation. Especially your patches do not care about the
>> already existing Flexcan core on the Freescale's ARM socks.
> [Bhaskar] No, the patches are taking care of the existing ARM functionality.
> 	I have not tested on the ARM based board, but the patches are made in a
>       Manner that it should not break the ARM based functionality.

>> "platform";
>> "platform";

>>> [Bhaskar] As it is mentioned in the Flexcan bindings, the need of
>> fsl,flexcan-clock-divider = <2>;
>>> 	    But I kept it as "2" because FlexCan clock source is the
>> platform clock and it is CCB/2
>>> 	    If the "2" is misleading, the bindings can be changed or some
>> text can be written to make the meaning of "2"
>>>           Understandable , Please suggest ..
>>
>> The clock source and frequency is fixed. Why do we need an extra
>> properties for that. We have panned to remove these bogus bindings from
>> the Linux kernel, which sneaked in *without* any review on the relevant
>> mailing lists (at least I have not realized any posting). We do not think
>> they are really needed. They just confuse the user. We also prefer to use
>> the compatibility string "fsl,flexcan" instead "fsl,flexcan-v1.0". It's
>> unusual to add a version number, which is  for the Flexcan on the PowerPC
>> cores only, I assume, but there will be device tree for ARM soon. A
>> proper compatibility string would be "fsl,p1010-flexcan" if we really
>> need to distinguish.
>>
> [Bhaskar] About clock source.. There can be two sources of clock for the CAN.
> 	Oscillator or the platform clock, but at present only platform clock is supported
> 	in P1010.If we remove the fsl,flexcan-clock-source property, we will lost the flexibility
> 	of changing the clock source ..
>
>           About clock-frequency... it is also not fixed. It depends on the platform clock which in turns
>           Depends on the CCB clock. So it will be better to keep clock-frequency property which is getting fixed via u-boot.

The frequency is fixed to CCB-frequency / 2. Will that ever change? What
can we expect from future Flexcan hardware? Will it support further
clock sources?

Wolfgang.