Date:	Wed, 24 Aug 2011 06:24:54 -0700
From:	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>
To:	jhs@...atatu.com
CC:	jamal <hadi@...erus.ca>, netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Interface without IP address can route??

On 08/24/2011 06:01 AM, jamal wrote:

> It makes sense to behave this way.
> IPv4 addresses are owned by the system not interfaces.
> If you want to control the forwarding behavior, control ARP so it doesnt
> respond on the interfaces with no IP.

ARP is already controlled, but interface was effectively promisc,
so it received packets anyway.  This allows me to bridge packets
in user-space using packet sockets.

I understand your argument about IPs being owned by system instead of
interface, but I think it's the wrong behaviour in this case.  Can
you think of any case where this behaviour actually helps?

Either way, it appears I can work around this by explicitly disabling
forwarding for this particular interface.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>