Date:	Wed, 31 Aug 2011 14:49:43 -0700
From:	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>
To:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
CC:	Nicolas de Pesloüan
	<nicolas.2p.debian@...il.com>, Jiri Pirko <jpirko@...hat.com>,
	Michał Mirosław <mirqus@...il.com>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net,
	eric.dumazet@...il.com, shemminger@...tta.com
Subject: Re: [patch net-next-2.6 1/2] net: allow to change carrier via sysfs

On 08/31/2011 02:36 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 13:48 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:

>>> Well, why not? Arguably, this is probably not the feature one would use every day, but...
>>>
>>> Testing a cluster reaction to a link down event would be easier if one doesn't need to unplug the cable for the test. I understand that one can turn off the
>>> switch port (physical or virtual), but echo 0>  /sys/class/net/eth0/carrier would be nice too.
>>
>> There is special hardware out there that can do bypass, and often it also has a mode
>> that will programatically cut link by throwing some relays.  We use this for our
>> testing equipment...
>>
>> If there is some way to twiddle standard-ish hardware to actually drop link, that
>> would be neat.  I'd think it should be an ethtool type of thing, however.
>
> We need to be able to control this as part of our driver test suite (on
> the peer, not the device under test).  There are various MDIO bits that
> look like they should do this but unfortunately they don't have
> consistent effects.  Besides that, many PHYs are not MDIO-manageable.
> So this would have to be a device-specific operation, whether it's
> exposed through ethtool or sysfs.

Well, I have boxes that can act as the peer.  Nics are intel chipset 1G,
the bypass/link-drop feature is some separate hardware on the NIC, and
there is a hack of a driver & user-space tools that controls those bits.

But, if there is a way to fiddle normal NICs w/out the special bypass/disconnect
hardware, that would be welcome.  Even if it's different for each driver, and
not supported by all, ethtool can deal with that sort of thing.

Here's a link to the hardware we use...it comes with drivers, though we've hacked on
ours a bit.

http://silicom-usa.com/upload/Downloads/Product_102.pdf

Thanks,
Ben