Date:	Fri, 09 Sep 2011 09:33:33 -0700
From:	Roopa Prabhu <roprabhu@...co.com>
To:	"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
CC:	<netdev@...r.kernel.org>, <dragos.tatulea@...il.com>,
	<arnd@...db.de>, <dwang2@...co.com>, <benve@...co.com>,
	<kaber@...sh.net>, <sri@...ibm.com>, <davem@...emloft.net>,
	<eric.dumazet@...il.com>, <mchan@...adcom.com>,
	<kvm@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [net-next-2.6 PATCH 0/3 RFC] macvlan: MAC Address filtering
 support for passthru mode

On 9/8/11 10:55 PM, "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com> wrote:

>>> I don't think guests currently filter anything.
>>>
>> I was referring to Qemu-kvm virtio-net in
>> virtion_net_receive->receive_filter. I think It only passes pkts that the
>> guest OS is interested. It uses the filter table that I am passing to
>> macvtap in this patch.
>
> This happens after userspace thread gets woken up and data
> is copied there. So relying on filtering at that level is
> going to be very inefficient on a system with
> multiple active guests. Further, and for that reason, vhost-net
> doesn't do filtering at all, relying on the backends
> to pass it correct packets.

Ok thanks for the info. So in which case, phase 1 is best for PASSTHRU mode
and for non-PASSTHRU when there is a single guest connected to a VF.
For non-PASSTHRU multi guest sharing the same VF, Phase 1 is definitely
better than putting the VF in promiscuous mode.
But to address the concern you mention above, in phase 2 when we have more
than one guest sharing the VF, we will have to add filter lookup in macvlan
to filter pkts for each guest. This will need some performance tests too.

Will start investigating the netlink interface comments for phase 1 first.

Thanks!
-Roopa