Date:	Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:02:53 -0700
From:	Roopa Prabhu <roprabhu@...co.com>
To:	"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
CC:	Sridhar Samudrala <sri@...ibm.com>, <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	<dragos.tatulea@...il.com>, <arnd@...db.de>, <dwang2@...co.com>,
	<benve@...co.com>, <kaber@...sh.net>, <davem@...emloft.net>,
	<eric.dumazet@...il.com>, <mchan@...adcom.com>,
	<kvm@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [net-next-2.6 PATCH 0/3 RFC] macvlan: MAC Address filtering
 support for passthru mode

On 9/11/11 12:03 PM, "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 06:18:01AM -0700, Roopa Prabhu wrote:
>>

>> On 9/11/11 2:44 AM, "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Yes, but what I mean is, if the size of the single filter table
>>> is limited, we need to decide how many addresses is
>>> each guest allowed. If we let one guest ask for
>>> as many as it wants, it can lock others out.
>>
>> Yes true. In these cases ie when the number of unicast addresses being
>> registered is more than it can handle, The VF driver will put the VF  in
>> promiscuous mode (Or at least its supposed to do. I think all drivers do
>> that).
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Roopa
>
> Right, so that works at least but likely performs worse
> than a hardware filter. So we better allocate it in
> some fair way, as a minimum. Maybe a way for
> the admin to control that allocation is useful.

Yes I think we will have to do something like that. There is a maximum that
hw can support. Might need to consider that too. But there is no interface
to get that today. I think the virtualization case gets a little trickier.
Virtio-net allows upto 64 unicast addresses. But the lowerdev may allow only
upto say 10 unicast addresses (I think intel supports 10 unicast addresses
on the VF). Am not sure if there is a good way to notify the guest of
blocked addresses. Maybe putting the lower dev in promiscuous mode could be
a policy decision too in this case.

One other thing, I had indicated that I will look up details on opening my
patch for non-passthru to enable hw filtering (without adding filtering
support in macvlan right away. Ie phase1). Turns out in current code in
macvlan_handle_frame, for non-passthru case, it does not fwd unicast pkts
destined to macs other than the ones in macvlan hash. So a filter or hash
lookup there for additional unicast addresses needs to be definitely added
for non-passthru.

Thanks,
Roopa