Date:	Tue, 20 Sep 2011 09:29:54 -0400
From:	Benjamin Poirier <benjamin.poirier@...il.com>
To:	Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages@...il.com>
Cc:	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>, linux-man@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: discrepancy in ip(7) wrt. IP DF flag for UDP sockets

On 11-09-20 08:14, Michael Kerrisk wrote:
> Hello Benjamin, Neil,
>
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 08:19:40AM -0400, Benjamin Poirier wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I noticed what appears to be a discrepancy between the ip(7) man page
> >> and the kernel code with regards to the IP DF flag for UDP sockets.
> >>
> >> The man page says that "The don't-fragment flag is set on all outgoing
> >> datagrams" and that the ip_no_pmtu_disc sysctl affects only SOCK_STREAM
> >> sockets. This is quickly disproved by doing:
> >> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc
> >> firing up netcat and looking at a few outgoing udp packets in wireshark
> >> (they don't have the DF flag set).
>
> Could you describe the required change in terms of how the man page
> text should look--i.e., rewrite the passage as you think it should
> look?

How about changing it to:
	IP_MTU_DISCOVER (since Linux 2.2)
	Set or receive the Path MTU Discovery setting for a socket. When
	enabled, the don't-fragment flag is set on all outgoing packets.
	Linux will perform Path MTU Discovery as defined in RFC 1191 on
	SOCK_STREAM sockets. For non-SOCK_STREAM sockets, it is the
	user's responsibility to packetize the data in MTU sized chunks
	and to do the retransmits if necessary. The kernel will reject
	(with EMSGSIZE) datagrams that are bigger than the known path
	MTU. The system-wide default is controlled by the
	/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc file.

	Path MTU discovery flags   Meaning
	[...]

There are some differences between _DO and _WANT that are glossed over
in this description, but I suppose there's only so much detail you can
put in...

Thanks,
-Ben