Date:	Wed, 07 Dec 2011 19:05:45 -0500 (EST)
From:	"John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@...nsourcedevel.com>
To:	David Laight <David.Laight@...LAB.COM>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>,
	Dave Taht <dave.taht@...il.com>,
	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Latency difference between fifo and pfifo_fast

----- Original Message -----

<grin> Sorry to have kicked up a storm! We really don't have a problem - just trying to optimize our environment.  We have been told by our SAN vendor that, because of the 4KB limit on block size in Linux file systems, iSCSI connections for Linux file services are latency bound and not bandwidth bound.  I'm not sure if I believe that based upon our traces where tag queueing seems to coalesce SCSI commands into larger blocks and we are able to achieve network saturation.  I was just wondering, since it is all the same traffic and hence no need to separate into bands, if I should change the qdisc on those connections from pfifo_fast (which I assume needs to look at the TOS bits, sort into bands, and poll the separate bands) to fifo which I assume simply dumps packets on the wire.  Thanks - John