Date:	Thu, 02 Feb 2012 10:58:28 -0800
From:	John Fastabend <john.r.fastabend@...el.com>
To:	Roopa Prabhu <roprabhu@...co.com>
CC:	"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>,
	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net, chrisw@...hat.com,
	sri@...ibm.com, dragos.tatulea@...il.com, kvm@...r.kernel.org,
	arnd@...db.de, gregory.v.rose@...el.com, mchan@...adcom.com,
	dwang2@...co.com, shemminger@...tta.com, eric.dumazet@...il.com,
	kaber@...sh.net, benve@...co.com
Subject: Re: [net-next-2.6 PATCH 0/6 v4] macvlan: MAC Address filtering support
 for passthru mode

On 2/2/2012 10:07 AM, Roopa Prabhu wrote:

> On 2/2/12 12:46 AM, "John Fastabend" <john.r.fastabend@...el.com> wrote:

>>> So it seems that we need to extend the existing interface to allow
>>> tweaking filters per VF. Does it need to block this
>>> patchset though? After all, we'll need to support the existing
>>
>> hmm not sure I follow what patchset is this blocking?
>>
>>> interface indefinitely, too.
>>>

>> OK finally got to read through this. And its not clear to me why we need
>> these per VF/PF filter netdevice ops and netlink extensions if we can
>> get the stacking correct. (Adding filters to the macvlan seems reasonable
>> to me)
>>
>> In the cases I saw listed above I see a few enumerations:
>>
>> PF <--> MACVLAN  <---> Guest <--- [...]
>>
>> VF <--> MACVLAN  <---> Guest <--- [...]
>>
>>                     VF|Guest <--- [...]       direct assigned VF
>>
>>                     PF|Guest <--- [...]       direct assigned PF
>>

>> I used '[...]' to represent whatever additional stacking is done in the
>> guest unknown to the host. In the direct assign VF case (Greg Rose
>> correct me if I am wrong) the normal uc and mc addr lists should suffice
>> along with the netdev op ndo_set_rx_mode(). Here the guest adds MAC
>> addresses and/or VLANS as normal and then the VF<->PF back channel
>> should handle this if needed. This should work for Linux guests and other
>> OS's should do something similar.
>>
>> In the direct assign PF case the hardware is owned by the guest so
>> no problems here.
>>
>> This leaves the two MACVLAN cases which can be handled the same. If
>> the MACVLAN driver and netlink interface is extended to add filters
>> to the MACVLAN then the addresses can be pushed to the lower device
>> using the normal dev_uc_{add|del}() and dev_mc_{add|del}() routines.
>
> My patches were trying to do just this (unless I am missing something).

Right I was trying enumerate the cases. Your patches 5,6 seem to use
dev_{uc|mc}_{add|del} like this.

>> I think this has some real advantages to the above scheme. First
>> we get rid of _all_ the drivers having to add a bunch of new
>> net_device ops and do it once in the layer above. This is nice
>> for driver implementers but also because your feature becomes usable
>> immediately and we don't have to wait for driver developers to implement
>> it.
>
> Yes my patches were targeting towards this too. I had macvlan implement the
> netlink ops and macvlan internally was using the dev_uc_add and del routines
> to pass the addr lists to lower device.

Yes. But I am missing why the VF ops and netlink extensions are useful. Or
even the op/netlink extension into the PF for that matter.

>> Also it prunes down the number of netlink extensions being added
>> here.
>>
>> Additionally the existing semantics seem a bit strange to me on the
>> netlink message side. Taking a quick look at the macvlan implementation
>> it looks like every set has to have a complete list of address. But
>> the dev_uc_add and dev_uc_del seem to be using a refcnt scheme so
>> if I want to add a second address and then latter a third address
>> how does that work?
>
> Every set has a complete list of addresses because, for macvlan non-passthru
> modes, in future we might want to have macvlan driver do the filtering (This
> is for the case when we have a single lower device and multiple macvlans)

hmm but lists seem problematic when hooked up to the netdev uc and mc addr
lists. Consider this case

read uc_list  <--- thread1: dumps unicast table
add vlan      <--- thread2: adds a vlan maybe inserting a uc addr
write uc_list <--- thread1: writes the table back + 1 addr

Does the uc addr of the vlan get deleted? And this case

read uc_list   <--- dump table
write uc_list  <--- add a new filter A to the uc list
read uc_list   <--- dump table
write uc_list  <--- add a second filter B to the uc list

Now based on your patch 4,5 it looks like the refcnt on the address A is
two so to remove it I have to call set filters twice without the A addr.

read  uc_list   <--- dump table
write uc_list   <--- list without A
write uc_list   <--- list without A

This seems really easy to get screwed up and it doesn't look like user
space can learn the refcnt (at least in this series).

>> Is the expected flow from user space 'read uc_list -> write uc_list'?
>> This seems risky because with two adders in user space you might
>> lose addresses unless they are somehow kept in sync. IMHO it is likely
>> easier to implement an ADD and DEL attribute rather than a table
>> approach.
>
> The ADD and DEL will work for macvlan passthru mode because it maps 1-1 with
> the lowerdev uc and mc list. The table was for non passthru modes when
> macvlan driver might need to do filtering. So my patchset started with
> macvlan filter table for all macvlan modes (hopefully) with passthru mode as
> a specific case of offloading everything to the lowerdevice.

Still this doesn't require a table right. Repeated ADD/DEL should work correct?

>  Also the table was mimicking existing tap device filter table for macvtap.

But the tap filter isn't directly manipulating the uc/mc betdev tables. I think
this is a key difference.

>> Took a quick stab at something like this below but there
>> might be a better way to do this and allow direct modification of the
>> uc and mc lists I think means you could remove a uc address added
>> by some stacked device maybe a VLAN. (just guessing.)
>>
>> Sorry if I missed something in the above thread I read most of it. And
>> maybe I missed something or oversimplified the problem.
>
> I might be overcomplicating things :). I have had no time to look at this
> again. I had started with looking at using current interfaces and I hadn't
> found anything straight forward. But was planning to look at it again.

I'm wondering if this is really just a macvlan specific thing after all. I
think your first v1 series was more closely done like this.

>> Thanks,
>> John
>>

>> +/* MACVLAN ADDRLIST management section
>> + *
>> + * Contains attributes to expose multicast and unicast hardware
>> + * RX address filters to user space.
>> + *
>> + * FIELDS:
>> + * - IFLA_ADDRLIST_{UC|MC}
>> + *
>> + *   Read only attributes, returns currently set mc or uc addr list.
>> + *
>> + * - IFLA_ADDRLIST_{UC|MC}_ADD
>> + *
>> + *   Write only attributes, adds listed addresses to dev uc or mc
>> + *   RX filter address lists.
>> + *
>> + * - IFLA_ADDRLIST_{UC|MC}_DEL
>> + *
>> + *   Write only attributes, deletes listed addresses in dev uc or
>> + *   mc RX filter address lists.
>> + *
>> + * PRECEDENCE:
>> + *
>> + * Add operations are parsed before delete operations. Passing a
>> + * single netlink message with a single address in both the add
>> + * and del lists will result in an addresses being added and then
>> + * removed.
>> + *
>> + * USAGE:
>> + *
>> + *     [IFLA_ADDRLISTS]
>> + *             [IFLA_ADDRLIST_UC]
>> + *                     [IFLA_ADDRLIST_ADDR], ...
>> + *             [IFLA_ADDRLIST_UC_ADD]
>> + *                     [IFLA_ADDRLIST_ADDR], ...
>> + *             [IFLA_ADDRLIST_UC_DEL]
>> + *                     [IFLA_ADDRLIST_ADDR}, ...
>> + *             [IFLA_ADDRLIST_MC]
>> + *                     [IFLA_ADDRLIST_ADDR], ...
>> + *             [IFLA_ADDRLIST_MC_ADD]
>> + *                     [IFLA_ADDRLIST_ADDR], ...
>> + *             [IFLA_ADDRLIST_MC_DEL]
>> + *                     [IFLA_ADDRLIST_ADDR}, ...
>> + *
>> + * NOTES:
>> + *
>> + * This interface exposes the uc and mc addresses. Addresses
>> + * are handled with reference counting so adding the same address
>> + * repeatedly will increment the reference count. No effort is
>> + * made to determine if the address being deleted was not added
>> + * by a stacked object earlier e.g. VLAN. This could for instance
>> + * result in ingress VLAN traffic being dropped.
>> + */
>
> In general since we don't have a netlink mechanism to add del mc/uc addr
> list from userspace (which I was looking for in the first place initially)
> such mechanism will be good to have too. I will also think about this some
> more.

Are you sure they will be good to have? I'm  not so sure you want to be
able to manipulate the uc and mc tables from user space. MACVLAN seems to
be one type of device where it is useful but doing this to a PF or VF seems
hard to use for any real use case. Fun to test the embedded bridge though.