Date:	Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:25:31 +0100
From:	"Takács András" <wakoond@...il.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: ip6ip6 tunnel routing issue

Dear All,

We're using Mobile IPv6 for vehicle communication, and we have found a
very annoying issue in IPv6 routing.

We're running kernel 2.6.35.14, but we think, that the problem still
exists in the latest kernel tree also.

The description of the problem:

Mobile IPv6 implementation in Linux is using different metric values for
each Care-of Addresses, when creates or modifies default routes. This
cause, that all of the packets are goes out on the interface which has
lowest metric value, independently from the tunnel interface. In
practice it cause that the packets which are routed into ip6tnl2 are
goes out on eth1, instead of the setup, which binds ip6tnl2 to eth2.

I have attached a test script, which reproduces the problem, without
Mobile IPv6. The init argument initializes the environment.

I have tried to find the problem in the kernel source. I found the
followings:

In the find_rr_leaf function (net/ipv6/route.c) the iteration goes until
the metric is equal to the specified one. If you look the calling
environment, you should see, that this metric value is the metric of the
first route info entry: http://pastebin.com/XfALRrrY

We have two totally same route entries, where only the interfaces and
the metric values are different:

default via fe80::20c:29ff:fe3b:4d16 dev eth1  proto ra  metric 1023
mtu 1500 advmss 1440 hoplimit 0
default via fe80::20c:29ff:fe3b:4d20 dev eth2  proto ra  metric 1053
mtu 1500 advmss 1440 hoplimit 0

In this case, the above loop, will call find_match only once, for eth1.
If it happens, the find_match function, couldn't find eth2, which
belongs to ip6tnl2, and returns with eth1.

Unfortunately, the (IPv6) routing mechanism in quite complex in the
kernel. I could find only a very ugly workaround for our problem:

The attached patch, introduces a new route lookup flag:
RT6_LOOKUP_F_IP6TUNNEL. It is passed step-by-step to find_rr_leaf, and
it will ignore the metric condition in the loop, if this flag has been
enabled.

The ip6ip6-metric-fix.patch contains the fix for 2.6.35.14. We had to
edit the definition of ip6_route_output. Because of this, the
ip6ip6-metric-stuff.patch contains the modification of calling this at
any other occurrences.

What is your opinion about this problem? What do you think about this
workaround? Could anybody help to us to find a more elegant solution for
this issue?

Best Regards,
András Takács

View attachment "ip6ip6-metric-fix.patch" of type "text/plain" (5868 bytes)

View attachment "ip6ip6-metric-stuff.patch" of type "text/plain" (8462 bytes)

Download attachment "test-ip6-tnls.sh" of type "application/x-sh" (5196 bytes)