Date:	Thu, 8 Mar 2012 18:29:33 +0000
From:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
To:	Giuseppe CAVALLARO <peppe.cavallaro@...com>
CC:	<netdev@...r.kernel.org>, <davem@...emloft.net>,
	<rayagond@...avyalabs.com>
Subject: Re: [net-next 1/4] phy: add the EEE support and the way to access
 to the MMD regs

On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 15:54 +0100, Giuseppe CAVALLARO wrote:
> Hello Ben
>
> thanks for your review and sorry for my delay.
>
> On 3/6/2012 6:05 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
[...]
> >> [...]
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> These names need to be changed as phylib also supports (or is intended
> >> to support) real clause 45 PHYs.
>

> What do you suggest? Do I have to rename these functions for example as?
>
> write_phy_mmd  ---->    phy_write_mmd_cl45
> read_phy_mmd   ---->    phy_read_mmd_cl45

These are a means to access MMDs through the clause 22 MDIO protocol, so
it seems to me that the name should include '22' and not '45'.  But
perhaps it would be more obvious to use the word 'indirect'.

> I've also another doubt. I put this code in phy_device.c. Is it correct?
>
> Maybe, it could be better have it in phy.c? What do you think?
[...]

No idea, I don't have any involvement in phylib.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Staff Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.