Date:	Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:14:41 +0100
From:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
To:	Yuval Mintz <yuvalmin@...adcom.com>
CC:	Giuseppe CAVALLARO <peppe.cavallaro@...com>,
	"rayagond@...avyalabs.com" <rayagond@...avyalabs.com>,
	"davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: Re: [net-next 1/4 (V3)] net: ethtool: add the EEE support

On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 16:48 +0300, Yuval Mintz wrote:
> Hi Peppe,
>
> > The "set" will be useful for some eth devices (like the stmmac) that can
> > stop/enable internally the eee capability (at mac level).
>
> If you're already implementing this interface, don't you think it might be
> prudent to create an implementation that can do more than enable/disable
> the interface?
[...]

It's not necessary for anyone to *implement* all of this now, but the
interface should certainly cover any settings that users may reasonably
want to read and configure.  As with most ethtool 'set' operations, any
implementation (driver) can disallow changing any or all settings
(-EOPNOTSUPP or -EINVAL) if it's difficult or impossible to implement
them.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Staff Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.