Date:	Tue, 22 May 2012 19:21:34 +0200
From:	Srećko Jurić-Kavelj
	<srecko.juric-kavelj@....hr>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Using jiffies for tcp_time_stamp?

Hi,

Recently I tackled round trip time estimation of a TCP connection.
After implementing a straight-forward approach (time stamping sending
and receiving of data using clock_gettime) I found this article:
http://linuxgazette.net/136/pfeiffer.html (using getsockopt() to get
struct tcp_info). The tcp_info structure conveniently has a rtt field.

Using the first method I get 1-3 ms RTT, and by using the second I get
>=10 ms RTT.

By looking at the code it's clear that the time stamping is done with
jiffies, and my kernel has CONFIG_HZ=100.

I understand that this is for performance reasons (and the RTT
smoothing filter is implemented with bit shifting operations), but
would using a more precise time stamp have significant impact on
performance? Since RTT is used to compute RTO, wouldn't there be any
benefits of having more accurate estimate of this value?

Best regards,

Srećko Jurić-Kavelj, dipl.ing. (Ms.E.E)
Research and Teaching Assistant at University of Zagreb
(Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing, Department of
Control and Computer Engineering)

E-mail: srecko.juric-kavelj@....hr

Sanctus Hieronymus: "Parce mihi, Domine, quia dalmata sum!"