Date:	Mon, 16 Jul 2012 21:45:47 -0700
From:	Jon Mason <jdmason@...zu.us>
To:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
Cc:	Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@....eng.br>,
	"Dave, Tushar N" <tushar.n.dave@...el.com>,
	Joe Jin <joe.jin@...cle.com>,
	"e1000-devel@...ts.sf.net" <e1000-devel@...ts.sf.net>,
Subject: Re: 82571EB: Detected Hardware Unit Hang

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Ben Hutchings
<bhutchings@...arflare.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-07-15 at 10:35 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012, Dave, Tushar N wrote:
>> > Somehow setting max payload to 256 from BIOS does not set this value for all devices. I believe this is a BIOS bug.
>>
>> And preferably, Linux should complain about it.  Since we know it is going
>> to cause problems, and since we know it does happen, we should be raising a
>> ruckus about it in the kernel log (and probably fixing it to min(path) while
>> at it)...
>>
>> Is this something that should be raised as a feature request with the
>> PCI/PCIe subsystem?
>
> The feature is there, but we ended up with:
>
> commit 5f39e6705faade2e89d119958a8c51b9b6e2c53c
> Author: Jon Mason <mason@...i.com>
> Date:   Mon Oct 3 09:50:20 2011 -0500
>
>     PCI: Disable MPS configuration by default

With the quirk, it should work now if pcie_bus_config is set to
PCIE_BUS_SAFE.  With that patch was pushed it was too late in the
release to fix it and see if there were any other ones out there (or
incur the wrath of Linus).  If you are brave enough, you can enable it
by default again and see if there are any other quirks out there. ;-)