Date:	Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:37:40 +0300
From:	Or Gerlitz <or.gerlitz@...il.com>
To:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net,
	Or Gerlitz <ogerlitz@...lanox.com>
Subject: Re: [patch net-next] team: add support for non-ethernet devices

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us> wrote:
> This is resolved by two things:
> 1) allow dev_addr of different length than ETH_ALEN
> 2) during port add, check for dev->type and change it if necessary
> +static void team_setup_by_port(struct net_device *dev,
> +                              struct net_device *port_dev)
> +{
> +       dev->header_ops = port_dev->header_ops;
> +       dev->type = port_dev->type;
> +       dev->hard_header_len = port_dev->hard_header_len;
> +       dev->addr_len = port_dev->addr_len;
> +       dev->mtu = port_dev->mtu;
> +       memcpy(dev->broadcast, port_dev->broadcast, port_dev->addr_len);
> +       memcpy(dev->dev_addr, port_dev->dev_addr, port_dev->addr_len);
> +       dev->addr_assign_type &= ~NET_ADDR_RANDOM;
> +}

Hi Jiri,

I'm not sure if here, or in the area where this is called, but, aren't
we missing re-computation of the team device features
that follows what the port supports?

I've been playing a bit with the patch and IPoIB, using iproute2/ip I
was able to create team device and set/unset it as the master of IPoIB
devices.  I had little configuration problem with building libteam
(will comm off list to fix that) which means that teaming was fully
using its defaults. I had set IP address for the team device and
issued a ping, I don't see that team attempts to xmit the ARPs through
the ib0 port though, the team drop counter keeps increasing. Could
that be me falling into a non-supported area, since I didn't
explicitly set mode used by teaming?

Also, re the features issue, I was able to trigger a concrete problem,
with IPoIB vlans are implemented with child devices that use IB
partitions, and hence IPoIB advertized being vlan challenged.  I was
able to create a 8021q vlan device over a teaming device that has
IPoIB port, which shouldn't be the case.

Here are some logs, basically, there's some failure print here which I
wasn't sure to follow

IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): ib0: link is not ready
IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): ib0: link becomes ready
(unregistered net_device): Failed to send options change via netlink (err -3)
team0: Device ib0 is up. Set it down before adding it as a team port
8021q: adding VLAN 0 to HW filter on device team0

the sequence I used is

$ ip link add name team0 type team
$ ip link set master team0
$ ifconfig team0 192.168.20.18/24 up