Date:	Wed, 3 Oct 2012 16:16:53 -0600 (MDT)
From:	Ken Savage <kens1835@...w.ca>
To:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: RED tc qdisc not dropping?

Hi Eric,

I'm guessing there were some improvements in the kernel associated
to this area since 2.6...  ;)

I did manage to chain together a 10ms delay with the netem qdisc at
the root, with RED underneath it, and this has at least resulted in
SOME packets being dropped -- and hence a bandwidth "cap" that forms
(naturally, due to queue fill and drop rates) and congestion control
kicking in, to get below this flow's natural tendency to operate
between 25Mbps and 30.

With the 2.6 kernel and tc tools, this chaining has a lot more
effect -- hence why I said there were probably some improvements in
3.4. (Of course there were, that's the whole point of Linux :)

So perhaps you can offer a better way of setting up basic wansim...

eth1: connected to server that generates data.
eth0: connected to client that receives said data.

Ideally, packets egressing out of eth0 can have some latency delay
and/or loss applied to them, to simulate travel time and loss:

# tc .... netem delay 10ms loss 0.001

AND, to simulate being passed through a company's Cisco router, set
up with WRED:

# tc .... red  ... harddrop probability 0.1

AND, be rate limited to some physical value, such what would happen
if we inadvertently used some old 10Mbps switch, or exceeded some
home employees's ADSL modem's internal speed limit:

# tc ... tbf rate 10mbit burst 50kb

-----

I noticed 'gred' seems to have a bw rate/limit option present now, but
for the life of me I couldn't get gred to actually WORK: it always
seemed to generate errors.  I'm not interested in multiple classes of
service, or prioritizing some traffic over others.  Just treat all my
outbound packets the same, and I'll be happy.

Any ideas how this could best be set up?

Ken