Date:	Sun, 21 Oct 2012 14:52:21 +0200
From:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
To:	Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] Kernel recieves DNS reply, but doesn't deliver it to a
 waiting application

On Sun, 2012-10-21 at 03:25 +0400, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 03:11:19 +0400 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > You should investigate and check where the incoming packet is lost
> > >
> > > Tools :
> > >
> > > netstat -s
> > >
> > > drop_monitor module and dropwatch command
> > >
> > > cat /proc/net/udp
> >
> > Thank you for you reply; I updated my kernel to 3.4.14, enabled
> > CONFIG_NET_DROP_MONITOR, and installed dropwatch utility.
> >
> > I will report back when the bug will struck again.
> > This may take a weak or two, however.
>
> This bug is back again on kernel 3.4.14, but this time I was able to
> get debug data and to recover running kernel without reboot.
>
> Drowpatch showed that DNS UDP replies are always dropped here:
> 1 drops at __udp_queue_rcv_skb+61 (0xffffffff813bd670)
>
> Another observations:
> - only UDP replies are lost, TCP works fine;
> - if network load is dropped dramatically (ip_forward disabled, most
> network daemons are stopped) UDP DNS queries work again; but with
> gradual load increase replies became first slow and than cease at all.
> - CPU load is very low (uptime is below 0.05), so this shouldn't be
> an insufficient computing power issue.
>
> I found __udp_queue_rcv_skb function in net/ipv4/udp.c. From the code
> and observations above it follows that this is likely to be a ENOMEM
> condition leading to a packet loss.
>
> This is a memory data after bug happened:
> # cat /proc/meminfo
> MemTotal:        1021576 kB
> MemFree:           32056 kB
> Buffers:          105204 kB
> Cached:           646716 kB
> SwapCached:          236 kB
> Active:           205932 kB
> Inactive:         587156 kB
> Active(anon):      20636 kB
> Inactive(anon):    22488 kB
> Active(file):     185296 kB
> Inactive(file):   564668 kB
> Unevictable:        2152 kB
> Mlocked:            2152 kB
> SwapTotal:        995992 kB
> SwapFree:         995020 kB
> Dirty:                 0 kB
> Writeback:             0 kB
> AnonPages:         43120 kB
> Mapped:             7504 kB
> Shmem:               148 kB
> Slab:             176004 kB
> SReclaimable:     118636 kB
> SUnreclaim:        57368 kB
> KernelStack:         688 kB
> PageTables:         2948 kB
> NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
> Bounce:                0 kB
> WritebackTmp:          0 kB
> CommitLimit:     1506780 kB
> Committed_AS:      62708 kB
> VmallocTotal:   34359738367 kB
> VmallocUsed:      262732 kB
> VmallocChunk:   34359474615 kB
> AnonHugePages:         0 kB
> DirectMap4k:       33536 kB
> DirectMap2M:     1013760 kB
>
> # sysctl -a | grep mem
> net.core.optmem_max = 20480
> net.core.rmem_default = 229376
> net.core.rmem_max = 131071
> [...]

If drop is in __udp_queue_rcv_skb(), its not because you dont have
enough memory. Frame was already received and handled by IP stack.

Thats because sock_queue_rcv_skb() said : there are already enough
frames in socket receive buffer, I dont want to add another frame.

You forgot to attach :

cat /proc/net/udp
netstat -s

By the way, I suspect you are hit by skb recycling.
(skb truesize is too big after few iterations)

We removed skb recycling in linux-3.7-rc1

If so, linux-3.7-rc1 or linux-3.7-rc2 should be fine.

What NIC are you using ?