Date:	Wed, 9 Jan 2013 19:14:56 +0200
From:	Timo Teras <timo.teras@....fi>
To:	Francois Romieu <romieu@...zoreil.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: r8169 rx_missed increasing in bursts (regression)

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 11:58:50 +0200 Timo Teras <timo.teras@....fi> wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 23:58:33 +0100 Francois Romieu
> <romieu@...zoreil.com> wrote:
>
> > Timo Teras <timo.teras@....fi> :
> > [...]
> > > My current hypothesis is that due to high softirq and recent(ish)
> > > commit da78dbf "r8169: remove work from irq handler" moving more
> > > work to softirq makes the receive path now suffer from latency
> > > from getting irq to reading packets from the NIC on these boxes.
> > > And that at times the rx fifo can get full causing a missed
> > > packet or so.
> >
> > This hypothesis won't explain the regression in 3.3.8 since 3.3.x
> > does not include commit da78dbf.
> >
> > Do you notice any netdev watchdog message in dmesg ?
>
> In production boxes. No.
>
> The lab environment where we tried to reproduce this, we received:
> NOHZ: local_softirq_pending 08
>
> Which is likely related, but separate issue. And fixed by commit
> da78dbf. So seems that just got upgraded to "regression fix".
>
> > 'perf top' may exhibit something unusual too.
>
> Will try this.
>
> I did notice that:
> /proc/net/softnet_stat's 3rd field aka. softnet_data.time_squeeze
> keeps incrementing when ever rx_missed increases. Sometiems
> time_squeeze increments on it own. But rx_missed never increases
> without time_squeeze bumping up seriously too.

Did more general observing.

It seems that the rx_missed is not directly related to traffic amount.
At times the box is handling easily 10000+ pps, while packet loss can
happen at other times on 4000-8000pps levels.

Generally time_squeeze does not happen, and the box is at 20-30%
softirq. Some times time_squeeze bumps up with one (within a one second
interval) or two and packet loss does not happen.

When rx_missed is getting bumped, time_squeeze goes up with 1-3, and
rx_missed goes up with 50-1000 packets. Usually around 200 packets. (1
second sampling period)

I did find a strong correlation that rx_misses happen usually when the
box has dropped a packet due to iptables DROP/REJECT rule, or some
other reason (e.g. I'm seeing once in a while dmesg contain:
"nf_ct_sip: dropping packet").

Any ideas why a netfilter packet drop might cause netdevice rx to stall
long enough to saturate the hardware receive queue?

- Timo