Date:	Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:13:36 +0100
From:	"voncken" <cedric.voncken@...sys.fr>
To:	"'Claudiu Manoil'" <claudiu.manoil@...escale.com>
Cc:	<netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: Gianfar : Drop a long frame

On 1/30/2013 6:27 PM, voncken wrote:
> [...]

Ok, at fist glance it seems that the DEFAULT_RX_BUFFER_SIZE of 1536 bytes is
not enough to accommodate VLAN_HLEN.
Apparently, the reason why it works with rxvlan 'on' and it doesn't when set
to 'off' is because by changing the NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_* feature flags the
gfar_change_mtu() gets called, which in turn has the following
issue:
gfar_change_mtu():
	if (gfar_is_vlan_on(priv))
		frame_size += VLAN_HLEN;
where,
gfar_is_vlan_on():
{
	return (priv->ndev->features & NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_RX) ||
	       (priv->ndev->features & NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_TX); }

and it's odd that the rx_buffer_size is conditioned by the HW VLAN
acceleration feature being turned on or off.
But I'll have to run some tests too to confirm this.

Regards,
Claudiu

It's true. That work when rx is on, because the VLAN TAG is removed from
frame by eTSEC and the len frame is below 1536.
In the mpc8315 Family reference manual rev 2, the table 19-160 indicates
that if  L bit is set, the data length includes the CRC. It seems the
gfar_change_mtu function must include the CRC length in frame len compute.

Best regards