Date:	Mon, 4 Feb 2013 17:39:32 +0400
From:	Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@...il.com>
To:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] Kernel recieves DNS reply, but doesn't deliver it to a
 waiting application

Hello,

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 20:36:44 +0400 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 10:11:03 -0800 Eric Dumazet wrote:
[...]
> > Thanks a lot !
> >
> > I see strange drops in dev_hard_start_xmit()
> >
> > l2tp needs some care.
> >
> > Please try the following patch, as skb_cow_head() API
> > doesnt really ease skb->truesize exact tracking anyway, better not mess
> > with it.
>
> Sorry for the delay, but I was able to reboot kernel only today.
> Your patch is applied on top of the 3.7.2 vanilla kernel.
>
> l2tp works fine and /proc/net/udp tx_queue values are normal now, see
> attached /prot/net/udp output. This is a good hint that problem is
> probably solved, but we need to wait at least several weeks to be
> sure.

With 16-days uptime system works fine.

Also I was able to reproduce this bug on another box: an embedded
system running openwrt with 3.7.5 kernel with openl2tpd client and
dnsmasq server. Due to limited memory resources this bug happened to
be easily reproducible: several thousands of dns queries were
sufficient to reproduce this bug. Full debug on embedded box was not
possible due to constrained resources, but bug appearance was the same
and /proc/net/udp is apparently broken (see attached log).

I applied your patch on openwrt's 3.7.5 kernel and it fixed the bug
on this box too.

So we've found a solution and I'm looking forward for it in the main
kernel :)

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko

Download attachment "proc.net.udp" of type "application/octet-stream" (1794 bytes)