Date:	Wed, 17 Apr 2013 16:14:18 +0200
From:	Nicolas Dichtel <nicolas.dichtel@...nd.com>
To:	Wilco Baan Hofman <wilco@...nhofman.nl>
CC:	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: ECMP ipv6 vs ipv4

Le 17/04/2013 15:16, Wilco Baan Hofman a écrit :
> On Wed, 2013-04-17 at 11:03 +0200, Nicolas Dichtel wrote:
>
>>> Sure, but how do we add nexthop weights and algorithm selection (hash,
>>> random) to this API? I personally prefer to have the routing behaviour
>>> of ipv4 and ipv6 to be as similar as possible, as the basics are the
>>> same anyway.
>> You can use something like this:
>>
>> $ ip -6 route add 3ffe:304:124:2306::/64 dev eth0 nexthop via
>> fe80::230:1bff:feb4:dd4f weight 1
>> $ ip -6 route append 3ffe:304:124:2306::/64 dev eth0 nexthop via
>> fe80::230:1bff:feb4:e05c weight 2

>>> Yes it is... in my tree, but I want to extend it to also include support
>>> for algorithm for hash based, etc.. and to keep it as close to the
>>> existing APIs as possible I think the nexthop structure makes the most
>>> sense for this.

>> The pro of the current implementation is that you can add or delete a nexthop
>> withtout removing the whole route. You don't need to list again all nexthops
>> each time you want to modify one.
>
> That would also be possible using ip -6 route change, it'll be more
> efficient for insertions and more consistent with the IPv4
> implementation. Remember that most code is in fact shared between IPv4
> and IPv6 implementations for routing protocol suites.
>
> For bird it would be much more convenient to have the same API work for
> both as the code is shared (with minor differences).
>
> The memory structure like below would make sense and you can expand it
> as well:
>
> struct ip6_nexthop {
> 	int               flags; /* algorithm per packet or hash, etc */
> 	struct list_head  *hops; /* nh_via */
> };
> struct ip6_nh {
> 	int              ifindex;
> 	struct in6_addr  rt6i_gateway;
> 	char             weight;
> 	int              flags; /* pervasive, onlink */
> };
>
> I'm not sure how to make this map correctly to the append API.. I think
> we need to make sure that all APIs either are consistent and symmetrical
> or don't work from day 1.
Maybe the error was to propose two API to insert ECMPv6 routes, but as soon as
there is two API, one will not be symetric with what is returned by the kernel ;-)

> I am willing to implement this, including algorithm support using the
> netlink nexthop API, like the IPv4 implementation.. or change the IPv4
> implementation, but either way I feel they need to be consistent.
I'm not sure that this is a major argument. There is already differences between
IPv4 and IPv6 (for example, IPv4 addresses are kept when an interface is down,
not IPv6 addresses, netlink messages are sent when routes are removed after
putting down an interface in IPv6 but not in IPv4). But I let other speak about
this.
What is important is to avoid breaking existing API.

Regards,
Nicolas