Date:	Mon, 29 Apr 2013 14:21:56 -0400
From:	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>
To:	Peter Hurley <peter@...leysoftware.com>
Cc:	Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@...il.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: Re: netconsole fun

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 01:28:45PM -0400, Peter Hurley wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 09:20 -0500, Neil Horman wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, it's both but I should have been clearer here. Sorry about that.

> > > When I get some more free time I'll experiment with this approach.
> > >
> > > Just to clarify something from earlier in the discussion:

> > > The breakage is a normal consequence of being able to load netconsole
> > > before the udev rules that do device renaming. The same thing would
> > > happen modifying initramfs.
> > >
> > > Basically, once netconsole attaches to a device, that device cannot be
> > > renamed. Unfortunately, the default udev behavior messes things up
> > > further because it will try to do this:
> > >   eth0->eth1
> > >   eth1->eth0
> > > which means neither device will be renamed.
> > >
> > > Maybe the net core should just implement persistent device names ;)
> > >
> > Theres no good way for the kernel to do that, as persistent naming in this case
> > is a matter of user policy, not kernel hardware management (i.e. do you want a
> > network name to follow a mac address, a pci slot, or the network its connected
> > to)?  You can use smbios to get some modicum of persistent device naming
> > currently, but I don't recall if that requires udev rules to implement as well
> >
> > You're best bet is to simply make your initramfs more robust.  I understand what
> > you're saying regarding renaming after you've taken a reference on a device not
> > being possible, but you can run udev within the initramfs, and do your renaming
> > prior to your netconsole load.
>
> Hi Neil,
>
> I plan to re-submit 'netconsole: allow mac addr to specify local
> interface device' which you originally objected to because you asserted
> that the same effect could be obtained through udev scripts in the
> initramfs.
>
> When you shot down this patch, did you actually try what you suggested
> in the initramfs or were you just hypothesizing that it would possible?

I've not tried specifically what want to do, no, but I've done interface
renaming plenty of times in the initramfs back when I did kdump work (we had to
rename devices in the initramfs to align them with whatever udev renamed them to
once we pivot_root-ed to the rootfs).

I presume you're sending me this note because you've for some reason decided
that doing this in the initramfs isn't feasible?  I'm happy to help you through
it if you like.

You're also welcome to resubmit your patch, but you're going to have to justify
why doing this in user space isn't a sufficient solution.

Regards
Neil