Date:	Tue, 30 Apr 2013 12:33:49 +0200
From:	Bjørn Mork <bjorn@...k.no>
To:	Cong Wang <amwang@...hat.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, David Stevens <dlstevens@...ibm.com>,
	Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>,
	"David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: Re: [Patch net-next v7 4/6] vxlan: add ipv6 support

Cong Wang <amwang@...hat.com> writes:
> On Tue, 2013-04-30 at 11:17 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>> Please take your time to clean up your todo-list and *test* the result
>> with different runtime and buildtime settings. There is no need to rush
>> this, and people may get tired of looking at the same shortcomings over
>> and over again.
>>

> So, why do you expect it is perfect?

No, I do not expect anything to be perfect.  But I do expect that you,
when adding IPv6 support, don't *knowingly* break existing IPv4
installations.

> It is extremely normal that a new feature is not perfect initially, and
> takes more time to make it perfect. If you need a real example, netlink
> mmap is exactly one, the initial version merged into net-next even
> doesn't compile for some case.
>
> And, why do you want to rely on me to fix them all?
>
> I am *not* at all an expert on IPv6. If this patchset could be merged
> early, many other IPv6 expert can help me to fix the rest issues.

Well, you have been told that your proposed new feature breaks IPv4
support with specific settings.  I do not think that you are speeding up
anything here by ignoring that fact.  On the contrary.

And net-next was already closed for new features when you sent the last
version, so I really, really do not understand why you are in such a
hurry.  Sorry.

Note that I'm neither an expert or anything else here.  This is just my
personal view. Feel free to ignore it, but please think about it for a
second or two first.

Bjørn