Date:	Wed, 17 Jul 2013 18:55:04 -0700
From:	Darren Hart <dvhart@...ux.intel.com>
To:	Paul Gortmaker <paul.gortmaker@...driver.com>
Cc:	"David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Any value in having a netdev FAQ?

On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 22:59 -0400, Paul Gortmaker wrote:

>    IMPORTANT:  Do not send new net-next content to netdev during the
>    period during which net-next tree is closed.
>
>    Shortly after the two weeks have passed, (and vX.Y-rc1 is released) the
>    tree for net-next reopens to collect content for the next (vX.Y+1) release.

So I misunderstood this line apparently. I checked Linus tree:

$ git show v3.11-rc1
tag v3.11-rc1
Tagger: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Date:   Sun Jul 14 15:18:41 2013 -0700

Linux 3.11-rc1

And seeing that rc1 had been tagged 3 days ago, submitted the pch_gbe
patch for MinnowBoard to netdev for net-next. David *very* politely :-)
asked me to resubmit when the net-next tree was open. It appears to me
then that we need to add a bit here about searching the archives
mentioned above for the last netdev-is-open message (I presume there is
a common subject format) to know whether a patch will be welcomed or
not.

I am not subscribed to netdev as I contribute only very rarely. Is it
considered a requirement that one be subscribed to netdev in order to
contribute? If so, we should add that here as well.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center