Date:	Wed, 04 Sep 2013 04:07:21 -0600
From:	James Yonan <james@...nvpn.net>
To:	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: GSO/GRO and UDP performance

I'm looking at ways to improve UDP performance in the kernel.
Specifically I'd like to take some of the ideas in GSO/GRO for TCP and
apply them to UDP as well.  Our use case is OpenVPN, but these methods
should apply to any UDP-based app.

AS I understand GSO/GRO for TCP, there are essentially two central features:

(a) it's a way of batching packets with similar headers together so that
they can efficiently traverse the network stack as a single unit

(b) it explicitly maps the batching of packets to the L4 segmenting
features of TCP, so that batched packets can be coalesced into TCP segments.

This approach works great for TCP because of its built-in L4 segmenting
features, but it tends to break down for UDP because of (b) in
particular -- UDP doesn't have an L4 segmenting model, so the
gso_segment method for UDP resorts to segmenting the packets with L3 IP
fragmentation (i.e. UFO).  The problem is that IP fragmentation is
broken on so many different levels that it can't be relied on for apps
that need to communicate over the open internet (*).  Most UDP apps do
their own app-level fragmentation and wouldn't want to be forced to buy
into IP fragmentation in order to get the performance benefits of GSO/GRO.

So I would like to propose a GSO/GRO implementation for UDP that works
by batching together separate UDP packets with similar headers into a
single skb.  There is no-tie in with L3 IP fragmentation -- the packets
are sent over the wire and received as individual UDP packets.

Here is an example of how this might work in practice:

When I call sendmmsg from userspace with a bunch of UDP packets having
the same header, the kernel would assemble these packets into a single
skb via shinfo(skb)->frag_list.  There would need to be a new gso_type
indicating that frag_list is simply a list of UDP packets having the
same header that should be transmitted separately.  No IP fragmentation
would be necessary as long as the app has correctly sized the packets
for the link MTU.

Once this skb is about to reach the driver, dev_hard_start_xmit could do
the usual GSO thing and separate out the packets in
shinfo(skb)->frag_list and pass them individually to the driver's
ndo_start_xmit method, if the driver doesn't support batched UDP
packets.  There would need to be a new gso_type for this batching model,
e.g. "SKB_GSO_UDP_BUNDLE" that drivers could optionally support.

On the receive side, we would define a gro_receive method for UDP (none
currently exists) that does the same batching in reverse:  UDP packets
with the same header would be collected into shinfo(skb)->frag_list and
gso_type would be set to SKB_GSO_UDP_BUNDLE.

The bundle of UDP packets would traverse the stack as a unit until it
reaches the socket layer, where recvmmsg could pass the whole bundle up
to userspace in a single transaction (or recvmsg could disaggregate the
bundle and pass each datagram individually).

This approach should also significantly speed up UDP apps running on VM
guests, because the skbs of bundled UDP packets could be passed across
the hypervisor/guest barrier in a single transaction.

Because this technique bundles UDP packets without coalescing or
modifying them, the approach should be lossless with respect to
bridging, hypervisor/guest communication, routing, etc.  It also doesn't
interfere with existing hardware support for L4 checksum offloading
(unlike UFO).

Could this work?  Are there problems with this that I'm not considering?
  Are there better or existing ways of doing this?

Thanks,
James

(*) Well-known issues of UDP/IP fragmentation:

1. Relies on PMTU discovery, which often doesn't work in the real world
because of inconsistent ICMP forwarding policies.

2. Breaks down on high-bandwidth links because the IPv4 16-bit packet ID
value can wrap around, causing data corruption.

3. One fragment lost in transit means that the whole superpacket is lost.

James