Date:	Fri, 6 Sep 2013 17:28:09 +0000
From:	"Williams, Mitch A" <mitch.a.williams@...el.com>
To:	Joe Perches <joe@...ches.com>,
	"Brandeburg, Jesse" <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>
CC:	Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>,
	"Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
	"davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"e1000-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net"
	<e1000-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net>,
	"gospo@...hat.com" <gospo@...hat.com>,
	"sassmann@...hat.com" <sassmann@...hat.com>
Subject: RE: [E1000-devel] [net-next v5 8/8] i40e: include i40e in kernel
 proper

That was me. I did it to make things less confusing for our customers and for us as engineers.

My goal was to make our out-of-tree driver as close as possible - including the makefiles - to the upstream driver. Doing this makes it simpler for us to backport and forward-port patches. It makes it less confusing for us when we're moving from one environment to the other.

The Kbuild file submitted here is exactly the same file that will be included in our out-of-tree tarball. To avoid confusion, I named it Kbuild, so nobody would just run make in the source directory. The toplevel makefile in our tarball is named Makefile, and I wanted that to be the only Makefile around so nobody would be confused (including me).

The kernel documentation specifically states that this is acceptable (Documentation/kbuild/modules.txt). Furthermore, Documentation/kbuild/makefiles.txt states that using Kbuild as a filename is acceptable.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep these named Kbuild. Doing so makes it simpler to keep our in-tree and out-of-tree drivers in sync. But if you're really passionate about having them named Makefile, we can deal with it. It's just one more detail for us to keep track of (and potentially screw up).

If there is a hard requirement that these files be named Makefile, then I would request that the kernel documentation be updated to reflect this.

-Mitch