Date:	Tue, 10 Dec 2013 00:05:44 +0200
From:	Or Gerlitz <or.gerlitz@...il.com>
To:	Jeff Kirsher <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>
Cc:	Sergei Shtylyov <sergei.shtylyov@...entembedded.com>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Anjali Singhai Jain <anjali.singhai@...el.com>,
	"gospo@...hat.com" <gospo@...hat.com>, sassmann@...hat.com,
	Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [net-next 09/14] i40e: Enable all PCTYPEs except FCOE for RSS.

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 10:55 PM, Jeff Kirsher
<jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com> wrote:

>>     Greg KH seems to be persistent in being negative towards its use. I also
>> react semi-automatically whenever I see it, asking to remove it. Anyway, it's
>> really DaveM's issue whether to allow it.
>>     The main issue with it is that it doesn't contain any useful information
>> to an ordinary person browsing kernel commits, it's exactly for the internal
>> use only.
>
> Well, I would disagree on the point that it would be for internal use
> only.  While it is a internal git hash, it helps us support the Linux
> community by helping us track the internal history of the patch for
> support and changes.  So customers could give us either the Linux kernel
> hash (in which turn we would find the internal hash id information from
> the patch description) or could give us the I<hash>.  So you are right,
> we would be the ones using the information to help support you and
> everyone else.

Jeff, thanks for sharing your thoughts and the deeper reasoning. I am
still not fully (and not that it has to be gating factor, but still,
lets discuss that a bit...) convinced  -- e.g you mention internal git
-- but the patch can be gone through large changes throughout the
submission process and @ the exterme can be totally different in
upstream vs. how it was in the internal git once submitted.

Shouldn't vendors actually seek to do that  the other way around? e.g
find a way to link plain upstream commit Hash to their feature request
/ bug reports / development trees and not plant the IHash on upstream?
just thinking out loud.