Date:	Thu, 23 Jan 2014 00:56:51 +0100
From:	Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>
To:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
Cc:	Arnaud Ebalard <arno@...isbad.org>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
	Daniel Borkmann <dborkman@...hat.com>,
	Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] null pointer dereference in tcp_gso_segment()

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 02:18:45PM -0800, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-01-22 at 23:02 +0100, Arnaud Ebalard wrote:
> > Hi Eric,

> > > A gso packet contains at least 2 segments.
> >
> > By whom / where is it enforced?
>
> For example, tcp_gso_segment() does the following check :
>
> if (unlikely(skb->len <= mss))
> 	goto out;
>
> If there was one segment, then skb->len should also be smaller than mss
>
> Since TCP stack seemed to be the provider of the packet in your stack
> trace, check tcp_set_skb_tso_segs()

Thanks Eric for the explanation. From Arnaud's trace, I suspect that he's
received an ACK which has released some pending data, so it's very likely
indeed that at least two segments were released at once given that the
receiver is likely to ACK every two segments.

Also we can expect that the received ACK was copy-breaked. I don't know
if some sort of skb recycling may happen at this stage and reveal some
bad corner cases (eg: improperly initialized skb during the rx path that
causes everything to break when it's recycled for the tx path), but Arnaud
you can easily disable the rx_copybreak feature by setting the rx_copybreak
module argument to zero. You can change it at run time in /sys/module. At
least it will tell us if it could be related or not.

Regards,
Willy