Date:	Tue, 28 Jan 2014 18:19:02 +0800
From:	Qin Chuanyu <qinchuanyu@...wei.com>
To:	"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
CC:	<jasowang@...hat.com>, Anthony Liguori <anthony@...emonkey.ws>,
	KVM list <kvm@...r.kernel.org>, <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: 8% performance improved by change tap interact with kernel stack

On 2014/1/28 17:41, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>>> I think it's okay - IIUC this way we are processing xmit directly
>>> instead of going through softirq.
>>> Was meaning to try this - I'm glad you are looking into this.
>>>
>>> Could you please check latency results?
>>>
>> netperf UDP_RR 512
>> test model: VM->host->host
>>
>> modified before : 11108
>> modified after  : 11480
>>
>> 3% gained by this patch
>>

> Nice.
> What about CPU utilization?
> It's trivially easy to speed up networking by
> burning up a lot of CPU so we must make sure it's
> not doing that.
> And I think we should see some tests with TCP as well, and
> try several message sizes.

Yes, by burning up more CPU we could get better performance easily.
So I have bond vhost thread and interrupt of nic on CPU1 while testing.

modified before, the idle of CPU1 is 0%-1% while testing.
and after modify, the idle of CPU1 is 2%-3% while testing

TCP also could gain from this, but pps is less than UDP, so I think the
improvement would be not so obviously.