Date:	Tue, 28 Jan 2014 19:18:49 +0200
From:	"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
To:	Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>
Cc:	Qin Chuanyu <qinchuanyu@...wei.com>, jasowang@...hat.com,
	Anthony Liguori <anthony@...emonkey.ws>,
	KVM list <kvm@...r.kernel.org>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 8% performance improved by change tap interact with kernel stack

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 08:58:34AM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 12:33:25 +0200
> "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com> wrote:

> > > Yes, by burning up more CPU we could get better performance easily.
> > > So I have bond vhost thread and interrupt of nic on CPU1 while testing.
> > >
> > > modified before, the idle of CPU1 is 0%-1% while testing.
> > > and after modify, the idle of CPU1 is 2%-3% while testing
> > >
> > > TCP also could gain from this, but pps is less than UDP, so I think
> > > the improvement would be not so obviously.
> >
> > Still need to test this doesn't regress but overall looks convincing to me.
> > Could you send a patch, accompanied by testing results for
> > throughput latency and cpu utilization for tcp and udp
> > with various message sizes?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> There are a couple potential problems with this. The primary one is
> that now you are violating the explicit assumptions about when netif_receive_skb()
> can be called and because of that it may break things all over the place.

Specifically http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/52963/
mentions cls_cgroup_classify which has this code:
        if (in_serving_softirq()) {
                /* If there is an sk_classid we'll use that. */
                if (!skb->sk)
                        return -1;
                classid = skb->sk->sk_classid;
        }

in_serving_softirq now checks flag so we could thinkably set it
just like softirq does.

>  *
>  *	netif_receive_skb() is the main receive data processing function.
>  *	It always succeeds. The buffer may be dropped during processing
>  *	for congestion control or by the protocol layers.
>  *
>  *	This function may only be called from softirq context and interrupts
>  *	should be enabled.
>
> At a minimum, softirq (BH) and preempt must be disabled.

Yes.

> Another potential problem is that since a softirq is not used, the kernel stack
> maybe much larger.

tun itself is pretty modest in its stack use -
as thread linked above says it might not be a big issue.

> Maybe a better way would be implementing some form of NAPI in the TUN device?

We can't always do this.

regular devices get skbs from card or RAM so they can do this
in softirq context.
tun gets skbs from userspace memory so it needs to run in
process context, at least sometimes.

--
MST