Date:	Tue, 11 Feb 2014 09:55:35 -0800
From:	Jay Vosburgh <fubar@...ibm.com>
To:	Gustavo Pimentel <gustavo.pimentel@...cec.com>
cc:	Veaceslav Falico <vfalico@...hat.com>,
Subject: Re: Bonding

Gustavo Pimentel <gustavo.pimentel@...cec.com> wrote:

>Hi Veaceslav,
>
>It's quite different from broadcast mode, each frame sent through the slaves has attached a Redundancy Control Trailer also known as RCT (this trailer is compose by a LAN identifier, sequence number, a LSDU size and a PRP suffix).
>Also the equipment with PRP capability has to send periodically a supervision frame to both similar LANs. Each device on the network has to keep track of receive sequence numbers received, if the received a sequence number for instance from LAN A of specific device and it doesn't exist on internal table, the device should accept the frame and update the internal table. When receiving the same sequence number from the LAN B, the device should discard it, providing zero downtime redundancy.
>
>I can supply you information about this redundancy protocol, if you like. This type of network redundancy is now being large deployed on electrical power stations (like thermal and hydro) and transmission power stations instead of teaming / bonding that depends on RSTP for redundancy.

	Are you aware that there is already an implementation of HSR
(High-availability Seamless Redundancy) in the linux kernel?  I believe
HSR and PRP are defined by the same standard (IEC 62439-3), and are
similar enough to interoperate to some degree.  Perhaps PRP would be
better implemented as a variant within the existing net/hsr/ framework.

	-J

---
	-Jay Vosburgh, IBM Linux Technology Center, fubar@...ibm.com