Date:	Fri, 14 Feb 2014 11:13:06 +0800
From:	hayeswang <hayeswang@...ltek.com>
To:	'Grant Grundler' <grundler@...gle.com>
CC:	'Inki Yoo' <inky.yoo@...sung.com>,
	'netdev' <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	'David Miller' <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: RE: RTL8153 fails to get link after applying c7de7dec2 to 3.8 kernel

Grant Grundler [mailto:grundler@...gle.com]
> Sent: Friday, February 14, 2014 6:23 AM
> To: hayeswang
> Cc: Inki Yoo; netdev; David Miller
> Subject: Re: RTL8153 fails to get link after applying
> c7de7dec2 to 3.8 kernel
[...]
> That makes sense. How can I check that?

The simple way is to see the led on the device to check the linking
with the cable attatched before any driver is loaded. Normally, I
would see the linking before running the OS when I plug the dangle
and then power on the PC. If you couldn't see the led on the device,
you could check the one on the switch.

> > I think you should create a udev rule to change the configuration
> > to 1 when the dangle is plugged. Then, it could load the
> vendor mode driver.
>
> Which "configuration" are you referring to?

Configuration 1. That has more power saving features.

> Something like this?
> /sys/devices/12110000.usb/usb3/3-2/bConfigurationValue

Yes. Modify the value from 2 to 1.

> I'm happy to try any command line you give me.
>
> If that command works, I can write the udev rule for future testing
> with these devices.

My udev rule (50-usb-realtek-net.rules) likes the following.

ACTION!="add", GOTO="usb_realtek_net_end"
SUBSYSTEM!="usb", GOTO="usb_realtek_net_end"
ENV{DEVTYPE}!="usb_device", GOTO="usb_realtek_net_end"
ATTR{idVendor}=="0bda", ATTR{idProduct}=="8153", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}!="1", ATTR{bConfigurationValue}="1"
LABEL="usb_realtek_net_end"

Best Regards,
Hayes