Date:	Thu, 27 Feb 2014 16:34:52 -0800
From:	Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>
To:	Sharat Masetty <sharat04@...il.com>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, harout@...eshian.net
Subject: Re: Packet drops observed @ LINUX_MIB_TCPBACKLOGDROP

On 02/27/2014 12:50 PM, Sharat Masetty wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> Category 4 is 150Mbps Downlink and 50 Mbps Uplink. We are using iperf
> in our test and it seems that its the most widely used tool out there.
> We have not used netperf before and we will definitely give it a shot.
> Would you know how different is iperf from netperf? Should we expect
> similar results?

I would expect them to show similar results for similar test types.  I
am not familiar with iperf's CPU utilization reporting.  If it doesn't
have any, you can always run top at the same time - be certain to have
it show all CPUs.  One can have a saturated CPU on a multiple CPU system
and still have a low overall CPU utilization.  That is what all that -o
<list> stuff was about showing - both overall and the ID and utilization
of the most utilized CPU.  (Of course if your system is a single core
all that becomes moot...)

> The TCP throughput is consistently slower and these drops are not
> helping either. We see huge dips consistently which I am positive is
> due to these drops.

Iperf may have a rate limiting option you could use to control how fast
it sends and then walk that up until you see the peak.  All while
looking at CPU util I should thing.

The netperf benchmark has rate limiting, but as an optional
configuration parameter (configure --enable-intervals ...) and then a
rebuild of the netperf binary.  If you want to take that path, contact
me offline and I can go through the steps.

> Do you know how to tune the length of this socket backlog queue?

I think Eric mentioned that how much of that queue is used will (also)
relate to the size of the socket buffer, so you might try creating a
much larger SO_RCVBUF on the receive side.  I assume that iperf has
options for that.  If you were using netperf it would be:

netperf -H <arm> -- -S 1M

though for that to "work" you will probably have to tweak
net.core.rmem_max because for an explicit socket buffer size setting
that sysctl will act as a bound.

If I've got the right backlog queue, there is also a sysctl for it -
net.core.netdev_max_backlog .

happy benchmarking,

rick jones