Date:	Thu, 29 May 2014 14:40:54 +0000 (UTC)
From:	Spike White <spikewhitetx@...il.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: inconsistency of ethtool feature names for get vs. set

Bill Fink <billfink <at> mindspring.com> writes:

> On Thu, 2 Jan 2014, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2014-01-02 at 15:03 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2014-01-02 at 11:47 +0200, Or Gerlitz wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Or 'gro'.  All the old feature names that can be used with the -K
option
> > > are listed in the manual page.  All the new feature names are
consistent
> > > between -k/-K.
> >
> > By 'new feature names' I mean names for features that weren't
previously
> > exposed through ethtool.
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > How do you intend to resolve this, given the compatibility
requirement
> > > that the old names must still be reported by -k and accepted by -K?
> >
> > Just to be clear, I do see that there's a problem here but the fix may
> > have to be mostly or entirely in documentation rather than code.
>
> Wouldn't one simple option be to allow the long form like
> generic-receive-offload for setting in addition to the existing
> shortcuts rx-gro and gro?  That way a user doing "ethtool -k"
> could use the name provided to do a set via "ethtool -K" without
> needing to consult a man page (or "ethtool -h"), while still
> allowing more knowledgeable users to use the shortcut names.
>
> 					-Bill

I love Bill's suggestion.

For instance, I have a mandate from my network engineering team to disable
all offloads on all Linux VMs.  (don't ask).

I plagiarized the below code.  But it uses the same keywords that it gets
from -k to call -K.  So it fails.

So I have to continue to play whack-a-mole.  As new offloads arise,
decipher the translation (via viewing man pages, etc.)

#==================================================
# TCP Offloading
# Guidance from network engineering to disable all offloads on all NICs:
# rx tx sg tso ufo gso gro lro rxvlan txvlan rxhash
function fix_offload () {

NICS=$(ifconfig | awk '/^p[0-9][^:]/ || /^eth[0-9][^:]/ || /^em[0-9][^:]/
{print $1}')

MODEL=$(dmidecode | grep -i product | head -1 | cut -f2 -d':' | cut -c 2-)

if [[ $MODEL = VMware* ]] && [[ $OS = "OEL6" ]]
then
   # New offloads in OEL6 that ethtool cannot disable on VM's: rxvlan,
txvlan, & rxhash
   ETHTOOL_PARSE="egrep -v -e 'vlan' -e 'hashing'"
elif [[ -n "$UEK" ]]
then
   # UEK has a bunch of features that we don't care about, so specify what
we want
   ETHTOOL_PARSE="egrep -e 'checksumming' -e 'scatter' -e 'offload' -
e 'hashing'"
else
   # Grab everything
   ETHTOOL_PARSE="grep ':'"
fi

for i in $NICS
do
   OFFLOADS_ON=$(ethtool -k $i 2> /dev/null | eval $ETHTOOL_PARSE |
grep ': on' | awk -F: '{print $1 off}')
   if [[ -n "$OFFLOADS_ON" ]]
   then
      echo "NIC $i offloads on"