Date:	Mon, 7 Jul 2014 16:33:24 +0000
From:	"Skidmore, Donald C" <donald.c.skidmore@...el.com>
To:	Flavio Leitner <fbl@...hat.com>, Tom Herbert <therbert@...gle.com>
CC:	Linux Netdev List <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Keller, Jacob E" <jacob.e.keller@...el.com>,
	"Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>
Subject: RE: RSS is not efficient when forwarding (ixgbe)

> It's a router forwarding traffic from one interface to another, so I guess it's
> only the kernel. BTW, no firewall.
>
> Flow Director needs to be enabled and I am using defaults.

Flow Director in ATR mode is on by default for ixgbe.  So like Tom mentioned the driver will create hash buckets for egress packets.  You could try disabling ATR and just use RSS.  Which would probably be the right thing to do any way since Flow Director isn't very useful for routing scenarios.

Thanks,
-Don Skidmore <donald.c.skidmore@...el.com>