Date:	Wed, 16 Jul 2014 07:49:44 -0400
From:	Karl Heiss <kheiss@...il.com>
To:	Steffen Klassert <steffen.klassert@...unet.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: IPSEC: tunnel breakage with out-of-order IPv4 fragments

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 6:59 AM, Steffen Klassert
<steffen.klassert@...unet.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 08:13:01AM -0400, Karl Heiss wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 5:16 AM, Steffen Klassert
>> <steffen.klassert@...unet.com> wrote:

>> > So we need to find where the DF flag disappears.
>>
>> I feel like we may be focusing on two different things.  I am more
>> interested in figuring out why the receive side does not handle these
>> packets gracefully.  I would assume that the missing/reordered
>> fragments may not get reassembled correctly and would be dropped,
>> which is OK.  However, it is when this event occurs and then every
>> subsequent, correctly ordered, fragmented packet is dropped that I am
>> concerned about.  While the sender may be in a broken state, the
>> receiver should be consistent with receive behavior, agreed?
>
> Ugh. No, not at all. The sender causes these problems on the receive
> side by using 'id 0' on all fragments. The id field is used to
> determine which fragments belong to which packet. The id must
> be unique for each fragmented packet. I.e. all fragments of a
> given packet must have the same id, fragments of other packets
> must have different id values. If all fragmented packets have
> the same id, they get reassembled in the order they arrive.
> Say the second fragment of packet A gets lost, then the first
> fragment of Packet A is reassembled with the second fragment
> of packet B and so on. This leads to authentication failures
> as you observe it.

If this is the case, is that not a security concern?  Anyone can spoof
fragments with just the source and destination IPs, id of 0, the SPI,
and cause any subsequent fragments to be invalidated, regardless of
order.  You say that fragments get reassembled in the order that they
arrive, but the code says otherwise, since it pays attention to the MF
and offset values.  I 100% agree that the receiver cannot possibly
differentiate between fragments when all of them have 'id 0', but it
should be able to recover once the reordering event has passed due to
the MF and offset values.  Should the receive side not be smart enough
to at least drop packets that do not authenticate due to reordering
but subsequent packets which are ordered correctly pass through
cleanly?