Date:	Mon, 11 Aug 2014 13:01:08 -0700
From:	Marcel Holtmann <marcel@...tmann.org>
To:	Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>
Cc:	Daniel Borkmann <dborkman@...hat.com>,
Subject: Re: Use CAP_NET_ADMIN and alias netdev-nlmon instead

Hi Stephen,

>>> Could it just be that your process doesn't have CAP_NET_ADMIN set
>>> but CAP_SYS_MODULE instead thus triggering this pr_warn()?
>>>
>>> grep Cap /proc/$$/status ?
>>>
>>> Hm, I don't think this is nlmon related, above works fine on my side.
>>
>> so I have not nlmon.ko loaded or compiled into the kernel. This means the ip command will trigger the autoloading. Command is either run with sudo or as root. So this is not a capability issue.
>>
>> I think this is just a wrong check when handling loading of modules. I still do not understand how a netdev-%s alias makes any sense. Or even trying to load module nlmon.ko since I created interface nlmon.
>>
>> The real module loading should also be done in the type and not the name.
>
> The netdev module alias is a hold over from the past. For normal device people
> used to create a alias eth0 to and point it to the type of network device used, that
> was back in the bad old ISA days before real discovery.

so can we just remove the second request_module for the network interface name here. I find the warning pretty much annoying since especially in cases where the autoloading happens based on RTNL and the type it is just in the wrong order.

I mean, I told you to create this type of interface with this name. So please stop complaining to me ;)

> Also, the tunnels create module alias for the control device and ip used to use
> this to autoload the tunnel device.
>
> The message is bogus and should just be removed, I also see it in a couple of other cases
> where tap devices are renamed for  other usese.

So what is the preferred way. Remove just the warning or the whole request_module of the the network interface name?

Regards

Marcel