Date:	Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:21:10 -0700
From:	Scott Feldman <sfeldma@...ulusnetworks.com>
To:	Roopa Prabhu <roopa@...ulusnetworks.com>
Cc:	Jiri Pirko <jiri@...nulli.us>, Jamal Hadi Salim <jhs@...atatu.com>,
	Aviad Raveh <aviadr@...lanox.com>,
	Felix Fietkau <nbd@...nwrt.org>, alexei.starovoitov@...il.com,
	Neil.Jerram@...aswitch.com, ronye@...lanox.com,
	Simon Horman <simon.horman@...ronome.com>,
	Alexander H Duyck <alexander.h.duyck@...el.com>,
	Shrijeet Mukherjee <shm@...ulusnetworks.com>
Subject: Re: [patch net-next v2 8/9] switchdev: introduce Netlink API

On Sep 20, 2014, at 5:51 AM, Roopa Prabhu <roopa@...ulusnetworks.com> wrote:

> On 9/20/14, 1:10 AM, Scott Feldman wrote:
>> On Sep 19, 2014, at 8:41 PM, Roopa Prabhu <roopa@...ulusnetworks.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> We already have all the needed rtnetlink kernel api and userspace tools around it to support all
>>> switching asic features. ie, the rtnetlink api is the switchdev api. We can do l2, l3, acl's with it.
>>> Its unclear to me why we need another new netlink api. Which will mean none of the existing tools to
>>> create bridges etc will work on a switchdev.
>>> Which seems like going in the direction exactly opposite to what we had discussed earlier.
>>>
>> Existing rtnetlink isn’t available to swdev without some kind of snooping the echoes from the various kernel components (bridge, fib, etc).  With swdev_flow, as Jiri has defined it, there is an additional conversion needed to bridge the gap (bad expression, I know) between rtnetlink and swdev_flow.  This conversion happens in the kernel components.  For example, the bridge module, still driven from userspace by existing rtnetlink, will formulate the necessary swdev_flow insert/remove calls to the swdev driver such that HW will offload the fwd path.
>>
>> You have:
>>     user -> rtnetlink -> kernel -> netlink echo -> [some process] -> [some driver] -> HW
>>

>> Jiri has:
>>     user -> rtnetlink -> kernel -> swdev_* -> swdev driver -> HW
>>

> Keeping the goal to not change or not add a new userspace API in mind,
> I have :
>     user -> rtnetlink -> kernel -> ndo_op -> swdev driver  -> HW

Then you have the same as Jiri, for the traditional L2/L3 case.

> Jiri has:
>     user -> genl (newapi) -> kernel -> swdev_* -> swdev driver -> HW

Jiri’s genl is for userspace apps that are talking rtnetlink, like OVS.  It’s not a substitute for rtnetlink, it’s an alternative.  The complete picture is:

user -> swdev genl -----
                        \
                         \
                          -------> kernel -> ndo_swdev_* -> swdev driver -> HW