Date:	Tue, 23 Sep 2014 11:11:29 +0100
From:	Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch>
To:	Andy Gospodarek <gospo@...ulusnetworks.com>
Cc:	Tom Herbert <therbert@...gle.com>,
	"Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
	Nicolas Dichtel <nicolas.dichtel@...nd.com>,
	ryazanov.s.a@...il.com, Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@...tstofly.org>,
	aviadr@...lanox.com, Felix Fietkau <nbd@...nwrt.org>,
	Neil Jerram <Neil.Jerram@...aswitch.com>, ronye@...lanox.com,
	simon.horman@...ronome.com,
	Alexander Duyck <alexander.h.duyck@...el.com>
Subject: Re: [patch net-next v2 8/9] switchdev: introduce Netlink API

On 09/23/14 at 12:11am, Andy Gospodarek wrote:
> There are clearly some that are most interested in how an eSwitch on an
> SR-IOV capable NIC be controlled can provide traditional forwarding help
> as well as offload the various technologies they hope to terminate
> at/inside their endpoint (host/guest/container) -- Thomas's _simple_
> use-case demonstrates this. ;)  This is a logical extention/increase in
> functionality that is offered in many eSwitches that was previously
> hidden from the user with the first generation SR-IOV capable network
> devices on hosts/servers.

I think we can define this more broadly and state that providing RX
steering capabilities to identify a guest in the NIC allows to
directly map packets into a memory region shared between host and
guest. Not a new concept at all but the existing dMAC and VLAN rx
filtering is just too limiting. We require a programmable API with
support for encap and encryption. SR-IOV is a hardware assisted form
of that which can expedite the guest to guest path on a host.